Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup



My family and I were back east to visit our cousins in Vermont and take in the beautiful fall colors along the way. We stopped along the Connecticut River in New Hampshire, at a local café.  It was a chilly 30 degrees out and the daily special  included their soup of the day which happened to be curried butternut squash. It was so memorable that when I came home I called the restaurant’s owner to see if I could get the recipe . She was happy to share it with me explaining in her distinct New Hampshire  accent that I need to “ really cook the bajeezus out of the squash”

1 large or two small butternut squash seeded and halved
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic
4 cups of low sodium chicken broth
2 cup plus of apple cider to season and to thin the soup if needed
3 tbsp  olive oil
2-3 tbsp curry powder

In a shallow baking pan roast  the bajeezus out of the butternut squash cut side down with a little water in a 350 degree oven until tender approx an hour. Sautee the onions with the oil until tender and set aside until squash is tender. The next step may have to be done in batches unless you have an immersion blender. Peel the cooked squash and add to blender with the onions , add a little broth and blend until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a large soup pot and the additional broth and apple cider. Season with the curry powder ( I like to use a little more and balance it with the cider) Can be served with a dollop of crème fraiche and a sprig of watercress.


0 comments:

Post a Comment